With ʿĪd occurring tomorrow, which is a Friday, I have written up the results of some research I conducted on the topic as promised. The essay is an extended one which is why I would just like to mention the conclusions here although anyone interested can read the full research by downloading the attached file.
My conclusions are:
- If ʿĪd coincides with a Friday one is excused from attending the Jumuʿah prayer service
- This concession applies to those who have prayed the ʿĪd prayer
- This concession applies absolutely to everyone including local residents, those living on the outskirts of the town or city and even the Imām
- One who chooses not to pray the Jumuʿah prayer is obligated to pray the Ẓuhr prayer instead
- Although the Imām is not obligated to hold the Jumuʿah service it is better to do so as the Prophet did
Happy reading: When Eid Falls on a Friday by Salal Ahmed Haque